Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Growing Garden

Q: How many flowers fit in a 865 square foot condo?
A: Too many.

My mom takes pride in her ability to decorate a room on a budget and has tried to pass this on to her four daughters. For this daughter, it is more just botched frustration. My mom passed a print along to me to hang in our bedroom and I managed to bungle it badly. For some reason, the melting snow on Good Friday leaked into my trunk and ruined the satin matt on the print. One glue stick, yards of tape, wallpaper and sweat later I needed to try something different. Since they don't sell ready made matts in this large size, we now have a new print of roses above our bed. I wasn't able to find a print in the right size for the existing frame, so had to use my meager decorating skills to fix up the print. Thankfully, I was able to replace the ruined print with a 50% off coupon from my mom, spending only $12.50!

Flowers are not a new thing for us, but we had avoided them all together at our new place. Well, except for our Monet inspired shower curtain too pretty to replace and also a hand-me-down from Mom. A few weeks ago, I painted our bathroom and vanity area in our bedroom a nice light blue that looks great with the shower curtain. Next my mom, Pete and I hung a new boarder in the bathroom. Of course the only paper that I could find that was right for a bathroom and the right colors is a soft pastel, Monet inspired garden scene. Add garden decor and our bathroom was complete. My mom said, "It isn't very masculine" which I found to be quite an understatement. Anyway, the next day the garden decor spread like, well, a weed into the vanity area. Now the flowers are above the bed too. Poor Pete! He is overwhelmed with flowers and pink, and Gen is just getting started with baby dolls and princess things. It's all down hill (to the garden!) from here.

No comments: