Thursday, July 17, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

I can't believe how fast summer is going. We are already half way through. Tonight we went to a Wilson picnic to celebrate June and July birthdays. It was good to see everyone. It felt like it had been a while since we had seen each other.

We took Tuesday Baby with us to the picnic and it was an eye opener for us. We have never really taken the baby anywhere so have never had to load up two car seats, two diaper bags, etc. We are tag team parents with Gen, but with two kids almost 20 months apart we were each pretty busy the whole time.

Unfortunately Pete didn't get much of a chance to chat with his family as Gen was pretty insistent about spending the whole time on the playground equipment. Thankfully he eventually got her to sit for a few minutes so he could eat. We brought a plastic lawn chair for her and she ate using the bench of the picnic table as a place for her plate. Turned out to be a good arrangement.

Gen is good entertainment these days. Seems like everyday she does something that just makes me smile. Yesterday she found her swim suit top in the bathroom and put it on like underwear over her jammies.

One day last week she saw my leg pillow on the couch and insisted we take it with to the gym. (It is one of those foam pillows you stick between your knees. I usually keep it in the bedroom, but had used it to watch Return to Snowy River the night before.) I said that pillow and blanket should wait in the car, but she insisted we bring them in to the gym. She often cries when I drop her off and I wanted to start out on a good note so I offered a compromise: she could put pillow and blanket in my back pack. I felt a little foolish opening up my back pack in the locker room and seeing the pillow and blanket. Blanket must have liked the outing since he hid out in my back pack another day. (I don't know why or when blanket became a he, but he is, even though he is pink!)

No comments: